Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at SanTan Village
- In 2013, the center installed 2,877 solar panels that produce 758kw of power. That is enough energy saved to power 110 homes for one year!
- Our Housekeeping and Security Staff use Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- We only use green cleaning products at the center.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Bicycle racks have been placed throughout the center to encourage the use of bicycles.
- Our waste area includes a special recycling compactor for cardboard.
- Our center installed a state-of-the-art HVAC system when we opened, that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Our center works closely with our tenants on installing reflective window coverings to reduce energy usage.
- Our center upgraded the misting system with a weather station that monitors temperature, humidity, wind velocity and automatically adjusts the water output accordingly, providing a substantial utilities savings.
- Our center installed shade structures and artificial turf throughout the children’s play area reducing our water consumption.
- Most of the center’s trash is taken to a facility that sorts out the recyclable materials and only discards the “true” waste.
- The Management Office only uses recycled paper.
World Wellness Weekend
Clear your mind, body and soul! The Kids are back in school and temps are starting to fall. Time to ...